By: Eden Hensley Photos by: Justin Hackworth for Alt Summit
Earlier this summer, members of the Alt Community paused from their busy schedules for an hour-long Twitter chat about where they find inspiration. While a few searched for inspiration online, many got away from their computers and physically went somewhere.
If you are in a creative rut or grappling with writer’s block, here are ten free or low cost ideas to help you get inspired:
- “Taking deliberate breaks to experience real life outside the computer” – Kayla of Freckles in April
- “Taking a break from Pinterest and reading blogs–being immersed in others’ work can make me self-conscious and LESS inspired” – Sandra of Raincoast Creative Salon
- “Setting aside time to get out of my head when “analysis paralysis” sets in. Walks are good.” – Sport of Meanest Look
- “Musicals. How to Succeed in Business, An American in Paris, that’s the stuff for inspiration!” – Heidi of Hands Occupied
- “Wandering the aisles in a local library” – Eden of The Road to The Good Life
- “Room to think. Favorite notebook and pen, desk, and peace and quiet.” Koseli of Original Archiving Co.
- “Daydreaming” – Lisa of Lisli: The Journal
- “Visiting galleries with art that challenges me” – Sandra of Raincoast Creative Salon
- “Research is the BEST” – Heidi of Hands Occupied
- “Chatting with creative folks” – Erica of aftcra: crafted by American Hands
How do you stay inspired? Please share your favorite ways in the comments below or with us on Twitter or Facebook. We love hearing what inspires you!
Want more resources about how to keep your creative juices flowing? Check out these popular posts from the archives:
- Thoughts on what original content means
- Three tricks for beating writer’s block when you know what to say and three additional tricks for when you know what you want to say, but do not know where to start, from PJ of A Girl Named PJ
- Four tips for staying creative over the long haul from Rebecca of A Daily Something
If you love chatting with other creatives and entrepreneurs, try and join us one Wednesday at 9AM PT/12PM ET for our weekly #AltChat. Topics are typically posted and shared a day or two here, on Twitter (@AltSummit), and on our Facebook page.