By: Eden Hensley Photo by: Justin Hackworth for Alt Summit
Success as a content creator in today’s changing media landscape depends upon one’s network. Almost all of us would agree to thrive you need a strong community. In fact, one of the most shared takeaways from Alt Summit Winter in January was from Erica of P.S. I Made This: “Your network is your net worth.”
But, how do you go about building your network? Where do you find your people if they are not living in your hometown? How do you reach out without sounding like a sales person?
Join the Alt community today September 24, 2014 at 9AM PT/12PM ET on Twitter as we discuss these very questions.
Here’s a quick review of how to participate:
- First follow @AltSummit on Twitter. Over the course of the hour we will be posting questions to guide the discussion.
- Open your favorite Twitter client, such as Hootsuite (or Twitter in two browser windows), or a Twitter Chat application, such as TweetChat. The first stream or window will be a search stream for #AltChat (be sure to select All and not Top). The second stream or window will be your Twitter notifications (the little bell if you’re opening Twitter)–these are direct responses to what you are tweeting.
- Before you start chatting, tweet to let your followers know that you will be participating in a Twitter chat and that your feed may be more active than normal. For example, Friendly PSA: My feed will be active for the next hour as I participate in #AltChat We are talking about lifelong learning today.
- Retweet our question before posting your answer to give your followers context.
- Begin your 140 character answer with A1, A2, and so on.
- Include the #AltChat hashtag in your answers and replies to other participants so that we can see your tweets.