By: Kelly Smith; Photo by Kelly Smith for Alt Summit
Look, there is no other way to say it. The About page is such an important part of any blog or business. Having a poorly written, flaky, or disconnected About page speaks volumes. Do not let new visitors, editors, or sponsors pass you by because of lack of maintenance.
Freshen up your page by following these five tips:
- Think like a professional editor. State who you are, what you do, and why you do it. Do not explain too much or get too personal. Instead, guide newbies to a few of your most popular posts, using bullets and links to make navigation as easy as possible.
- Include a really good photo that represents your best you. Show your face confidently, readers want to know who you are and seeing a face provides a personal connection that is lost in a sea full of names. Get creative and stand out!
- Let your tone shine. The tone of your blog should be evident and clear. Stating a blog is happy, reflective, or sarcastic is less effective than providing an example. Which is better: “I am witty, hard working, and crafty.” or “I am like a dozen little elves who wake up in the middle of the night and make shoes, except I am only one person and I like to claim all the credit.”?
- Include your location. Obviously do not be too specific about where you live, but it does make a significant difference to your readers and sponsors to know if you live in upstate New York, Seattle, or Australia. Not to mention, it reminds people that you are a human and not just an Internet personality.
- Lastly, be specific about what you do and why readers should stay awhile. This may take a lot of deliberate thinking on your part, but that is something you should be doing anyway.