Often the line between reality and fantasy gets blurred on lifestyle blogs. Fans form one of idea of what “real life” may be like and compare their lives to what they see. This interpretation of fiction as fact is not intentional or conscious.
For many of us, our blogs are our happy places, sometimes our escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We share things we like. We present our hopes and our dreams and a curated highlighted reel of lives. And depending on how edited our content is, perception may not match our reality.
This disconnect is readily apparent on Instagram, inspiring many this summer to share behind the scenes perspectives in an effort to keep it real:
- Caitlin of Your Typical Prep shares What Was Really Happening? for her Instagram vs. Reality check.
- Abby of Belle of the Ball walks us through how she got a shot of a butterfly sitting on her shoulder in her Instagram vs Reality reveal.
- Lisette of PopSugar presents seven examples of Instagram vs Reality.
So where do you draw the line? What factors do you consider when choosing items to include in a round up? Does your content represent the life you lead or the one you dream about? Do you make this distinction clear? How?
Whether or not these are questions that keep you up at night, they important to think about. Be sure to join us tomorrow December 17th at 9AM PT / 12 PM ET for what promises to be a thought-provoking conversation.
- Be sure you are following both @AltSummit and @Overstock on Twitter prior to the start of the chat.
- Launch your favorite Twitter client, such as Hootsuite, or Twitter Chat application, such as TweetChat, or open Twitter in two browser windows (one for #AltChat and one for you conversations or mentions).
- Join the #AltChat on December 17 from 9AM PT / 12 PM ET to 10AM PT / 1 PM ET if you can.
- Retweet the host’s question before answering to give your followers context.
- Begin your 140 character answer with A1, A2, and so on.
- Include the hashtags #AltChat and #AltLovesOverstock at the end of each of your tweets.